11 April 2009

Spent Thursday night, most of Friday, and probably this upcoming evening planting my parents' backyard. Three young dogs and a lack of somebody young to do any gardening has reduced what was once planted, grassy, and full of rosemary bushes and mint to dirt, weeds, and one voracious red-tip photinia and a Spanish oak we planted from an acorn. And my mom's bougainvilleas. I went out late on Thursday and broke ground the prepared half the yard for planting --not a particularly easy job, but did a good job replacing the workouts I've been skipping for a week. Brought back memories from my trail-building days with TPWD-- and designed a rough plan with plants and guides and my folks sprang for a bunch of plants on Friday morning. It's looking good (small, but good! we've got several months before it's going to look fuller) and all very water-savvy; lots of Mexican sages, blackfood daisies, lantanas, etc. I may take pictures tomorrow, or I may not.. it simply does not look impressive, and my parents would kill me if they knew I was posting pictures of the tragedy that was our backyard.

Also convinced my parents to switch to premium, non-HEB-aisle dog food. That took some selling. Rembrandt and Pedro have skin issues and I'm thinking their nasty Beneful is to blame.

Feeling pretty excited about the thought of a revitalized rail system in the U.S. Also fairly annoyed about the Somali pirates. We're spending X amount of dollars on ridiculous amounts of defense, yet a lifeboat without fuel is beyond our capabilities? Hmm.

Also, this marks the first Easter I think I've been home since High School! And so I'm feeling quite inclined to eat Cadbury eggs and decorate the table with fresh lavender asters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment