18 March 2011

Dryer Lent.

I decided to retro Catholic-school-girl-days it with Lent this year, and actually Give Something Up. And I picked Junk Food.

I realize— sort of a shifty and overzealous goal at first look. But I define "junk" as:

  1. No discernible nutritional value.
  2. Moderate-to-highly processed.
  3. Including high fructose corn syrup.
  4. Relatively high calorie.
  5. Not including diet soda. (Yeah yeah yeah.. I know.)
And so far, so good. I have had a couple of homemade cookies, some frozen yogurt, and I would eat a small piece of dark chocolate if it crossed my path. Giving up all sweets would absolutely kill me, and for the same reason, I still drink diet soda. It is most difficult when faced with greasy bagged potato chips or bags of M&Ms, or when the twinge hits me to get french fries as an afternoon snack. I can binge like a pro, and lately, especially when I get stressed and hurried, I notice more and more bad, processed foods slipping in my hands.

In addition to Giving Something Up, I'm also adding. My friend Ryne takes that approach and I think it is a more positive way to observe Lent anyway. So, I got a dorky pedometer and make sure and take 10,000 steps a day.

It's funny how bad my mental calculations on how far I've walked are. On days where I have a handful of lessons to teach, I probably clock 13,000 steps without even trying. I had no idea I walked that much. Unfortunately, on days when I'm working in the office or traveling, it is shocking to look down at the end of the day and see 4,500 steps as a total and realize that I have to jog or walk a hefty amount to catch up. But ultimately, it's a good gauge of how much I need to move a day and I'm becoming even more conscientious about putting a little walk at the end of each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment